There are things that one supposed to know as a citizen of Nigeria, one such thing is the Nigerian flag.
The Nigerian flag is no doubt the national symbol of the country. It carries a very strong message that defines the history of the Nigerian people. it was designed in the year 1959 during a contest and was legally adopted on the first October 1960. The Nigerian flag consists of the three vertical stripes of the same dimensions. The bands at the left and the right borders are green while the central one is white.
The Nigerian flag was designed by Michael Akinkumi in the year 1959. Taiwo Akinkumi was only 23 years old, at the Norwich Technical College in London, England, indeed, it was a great opportunity for this young man when he came across an advertisement requesting submission or the design of the new national flag of Nigeria. This current color on the Nigerian flag was not his original color. Taiwo,s Original design was made up of a red radiating sun badge in the central white vertical stripe, with green vertical bands on either side.
After the design, the judges pointed out the badge on the flag and voted for the removal of the badge from the flag. The Nigeria flag was first flown when in the year 1960 1st of Oct when Nigeria became independent from the united kingdom.
MEANING OF THE COLOURS ON THE NIGERIA FLAG.
It is obvious that the Nigerian flag consists of just two colors, that is Green and White. The two colors on the flag represent something.
- GREEN COLOUR: the green color on the flag represents the natural wealth of Nigeria.
- WHITE COLOUR: the white color represents peace.
INTERESTING FACT ABOUT THE NIGERIA FLAG:
- The flag was first flown on the 1st of October,1960, when Nigeria got her independence.
- Whenever the flag is hoisted, it is accompanied by a ceremony at dawn (6.00 am) and lowered the same way at sunset (6:00 pm)
- The flag is flown at half-mast as a sign of respect during memorial days or state funerals.
- Display of the national flags on vehicles is reserved for special dignitaries like the president, vice president, governors, etc and it must be placed at the right fender or car chassis or the radiator